Keep reading for our Country Living Christmas Competition…
I am so loving my relationship with cheese, and whilst I’ve been making it for around 13 years, my intrigue and passion was reignited last October when we visited Kerry in Ireland and met a Dutch man who makes Gouda cheese in his converted spare bedroom using milk from his Jersey cows that he keeps down the lane.
After looking up a similar recipe, and having a few accidents with piles of books, that I’d been using as weights, tumbling down into the kitchen sink, I treated myself to a press from Moorlands Cheesemakers and started trying my hand to a range of hard cheeses for our recent book launch and promotional events, see below. Whilst on holiday in Italy this year, I milked a sheep and made pecorino cheese, then created our first halloumi cheese with a team from Brompton Bikes on a Corporate Team Day.
Last week, we were back in Ireland and popped in to see to our guru in Derreenaclaurig to buy some more cheese and check on his technique (in the most subtle way that I could…).
Now, with soft cheeses, hard cheeses, blue and mould ripened under my belt, I’m planning a complete Christmas Cheese Board with the full range all made by hand in our kitchen. Good job I know where I can get some decent bread and chutney to go with it!
If you would like to have a go at making cheese with us, we have a couple of spaces left on Introduction to Making Cheese on Wednesday 22nd November.
Looking ahead, we’ve created two new cheese courses:
Making New Cheeses Wednesday 17th January
- Garden Roule – soft cheese with garlic and herbs
- Mould Ripened Blue – gooey and delicious
- Pressed Halloumi – perfect for grilling
- Multi seed crackers – wheat-free
Cheese Together (Family Course) Thursday 15th February
- Apricot Soft Cheese Balls
- Garden Roule
- Hand Pressed Fresh Cheese
- Rosemary Crackers
Most of our courses have dates open for 2024, however, from January there will be Eventbrite fees on all courses, so book before end of year to save money.
Country Living Christmas Fair
I’m delighted to be hosting again at this year’s fair in London (8th-11th November) and Harrogate (30th Nov – 3rd December).
You can find me giving demonstrations both at the Country Living Christmas Table and in the VIP Lounge every day. More info here.
We have a PAIR of VIP TICKETS exclusively for subscribers of this blog, with FOUR PAIRS of STANDARD (Free Entry) tickets as runner up prizes.
If you’d like to come, leave a comment on this post (below) to let us know and we’ll enter you in the draw (please double check that you’ve subscribed to our blog – bottom of page).
Competition closes on Wednesday (1st Nov), we will draw for the free tickets on Thursday 2nd November and notify winners by email.
If you are not successful in winning a pair of free tickets, use the code HENCORNER at checkout for 50% off tickets*.
*Offer valid on standard adult tickets only. Not valid on Luxe, VIP, Add-on or workshop tickets. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
Christmas Courses at Hen Corner
As usual, we have a lovely selection of Christmas Courses coming up. The in-person sessions have limited places – so do book in early for your favourite course.
Coming up at Hen Corner:
- Tuesday 7th November Making Bagels, Muffins & Swirls
- Wednesday 22nd November Introduction To Making Cheese
- Sunday 26th November Making Christmas Puddings – Stir Up Sunday
- Sunday 3rd December Christmas Wreaths at Chiswick Flower Market
- Monday 4th December Making Apricot Advent Wreath (Virtual 6-8pm)
- Wednesday 6th December Making Christmas Wreaths
- Saturday 9th December Making Christmas Wreaths
- Monday 11th December Making Special Stollen (Virtual 6-8pm)
- Tuesday 12th December Making Linen Christmas Crackers
- Wednesday 13th December Making Christmas Food Gifts
- Monday 18th December Making Mince Pies (Virtual 6-8pm)
- Tuesday 19th December Introduction To Christmas Baking
- It was a lovely surprise to find us on the front page of The Times last week (with a double page spread inside).
- We’ve been invited back to run another Christmas Wreaths workshop at Chiswick Flower Market, book in here
- I was delighted to join a panel of entrepreneurs for a careers event at Shrewsbury High School for Girls
Jobs for the week:
- Find somewhere safe to store some home made salami – it needs to hang in an airy place to dry for 8 weeks
- Plant some snowdrop bulbs ready for a sprig surprise
- Stock up on fondant for the bees – we need to ensure they have enough food throughout the winter
As we get closer to the festive season, remember that being present, with family & friends, is the perfect gift.
Hope to see you soon,