“I came all the way in a lifeboat, and ate marmalade. Bears like marmalade.”*
This year, I may have more in common with Paddington Bear than ever before. We both live in West London, wellies are a favourite footwear and, of course, a jar of marmalade is always close to hand. However, this year, Paddington and I both have a vested interested in the BAFTA Film Awards next weekend. Paddington for his two nominations (Outstanding British Film and Adapted Screenplay) and I for the 50 jars of honey that we supplied BAFTA 195 last month. I don’t think our honey will be on the menu for the big night as Head Chef Anton Manganaro was planning the menu with Nigel Boschetti, Executive Chef of Grosvenor House, back in September last year, but maybe I could pass on a jar of marmalade just in case the bear fancies a munch!
And so timely, as last week hosted our annual Toast and Marmalade Course where a small group of us gathered to bake beautiful bread and make marvelous marmalade. I chose to add apricots and pecan nuts to my loaf which was delicious toasted and served with the whisky marmalade – wonderfully warming and more than welcome on a wintry morning!
‘Sara is a fantastic tutor; engaging and informative in perfect measure. These courses are excellent value for money; to learn in a home environment that you can easily replicate, with like minded enthusiasts.’ Karen, January 2015
We have courses running right throughout the year with four places left on Saturday 28th February for Families, Feathers and Fun. March then welcomes the builders to create a fantastic new kitchen that will facilitate a wide range of sessions exploring artisan cooking skills and we are back outside with the chickens in April, kindly promoted by Country Living Magazine.
All our confirmed courses are open for bookings and we are planning new sessions such as Summer Scones and Strawberry Jam, Perfect Pasta, Breads: Sweet and Savoury… Which would you fancy for yourself or as a gift? If there is something that you’ve always wanted to try, let us know by commenting below, and if we make a course of it we’ll give you a free place!
- Four of our hens are laying again and we’ve planned the new kitchen around the colour scheme of their eggs
- Sara is delighted to have been asked to join the panel at the Country Living Spring Fair next month, giving advice on how to turn your rural dream into a reality
- We are thrilled to be staying in a Luxury Safari Tent in Cornwall with Classic Glamping in the Easter Holidays, we’ll tell you all about it, but for more info see here
Jobs for this week:
- Encourage local teachers to consider Chickens and Bees in our INSET session with Heathland Learning Trust
- Pop up to Porchester Place to meet Rhuaridh from Buchanans Cheesemonger
- Meet with the team from RAW Unlimited to refresh our Hen Corner brand and plan for the new website
Join us on the Journey!