You know what they say about ‘Making hay while the sun shines?’ Well, I’m a firm believer in grabbing opportunities, delighting in all that the season has to offer and celebrating every day with a true sense of thankfulness.
Urban Food Awards
Thank you so much to all our friends and followers who voted for us in the Urban Food Awards, we are delighted to say that we have secured a place in the finals in not just one category, but three! We need to submit samples to the panel of esteemed judges next month and then shall be judged against the other finalists in each category. The winners will be announced at the Urban Food Feast on 21 September at Borough Market, can’t wait!
‘Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.’
Sam Keen, Author
Urban Food Fortnight
We were invited to spend a lovely afternoon in the roof garden at The Culpeper, Whitechapel. This was specifically to meet other London food producers as we start to prepare for Urban Food Fortnight, an annual celebration of the fabulous produce being grown, made, cooked and saved on our doorstep.
Whilst it is always lovely to see old friends such as Cultivate London, we were delighted to meet Chris Young from the Real Bread Campaign and Dale Gibson from Bermondsey Street Bees, Cobbled Lane Cure had some superb charcuterie to sample and we got chatting to the team from Celtic Bakers about authentic sourdoughs, micro bakeries and baking schedules…
London Permaculture Festival
This weekend, we are taking Bunty and her chicks on their debut roadshow; we’ve been invited to lead our workshop: Urban Hens – Keeping Chickens in London as part of their 7th Annual Festival in Camden on Sunday 31st July. Our talk is at 1.10pm and we will be around all afternoon for you to meet the lovely chickens… The event timetable is here and more information about the festival can be found in this film:
- We cracked open the first of our home cured air dried collar coppa, the home made drying cabinet worked well and we still have a large salami and a lardo blanco hanging in there.
- The best strawberries are ripe now and we’ve been busy making jam with our local Disability Network Hounslow and on our courses.
- Our bees are doing well, storing lots of honey in their super frames for us
Jobs for the Week:
- Design a new cage for our almond tree, we need to protect it from the squirrels
- Bottle up last year’s cider, we can drink it whilst we’re making more in September
- Dress up smart – I’ve been asked to be a Dragon for the National Citizenship Scheme!
We are enjoying the events, festivals and celebrations of summer, what are you looking forward to over the coming weeks?