Christmas is coming and we are very excited…
We have already run some of our Christmas Courses, helping others get ahead with their preparations, and we’ve been to a Christmas Fair with our Advent Candles, bakery treats, preserves and hampers. We are making Christmas Wreaths over the next week or so and are looking forward to wrapping gifts and visiting family and friends over the festive period.
Back in February, Andy gave me the wonderful gift of a mistletoe kit which we have used to try and propagate some plants on our apple trees, I think a couple have taken OK, even with that very dry summer, but it’s not grown enough to harvest for this year’s Christmas kisses, maybe next year…
However, wherever you are in your planning and preparations, here’s how we will be celebrating Christmas this year:
Haven’t we all got a bit too much ‘stuff’? How about giving an experience or new skill that will bring rewards for years and years to come? This year, I went on a Chocolate Workshop with Bianca Marton and am looking forward to an Ice Cream Course at the School of Artisan Food next year. Many of our course guests come back again and again and buy new courses for friends. Most of our courses for next year are published on the website and if you want to purchase a Gift Voucher, we can produce a personal card for you to give on the big day. If you are looking for something to wrap up, our Hen Corner aprons are hard wearing, practical and made of organic Fairtrade cotton. Do contact us for more info.
Yeah! A highlight of this year was participating in Top Of The Shop with Tom Kerridge and guess what? BBC Two are scheduling it to be repeated at Christmas, OK it’s not the Sound of Music, but our Apple & Chilli Jelly is perfect in a turkey sandwich…
The episode Preserves, Pickles and Spreads is scheduled for BBC Two on 8am, Wednesday 19th December
We are really excited to be volunteering with local community groups to bring Carols in the Park back to Brentford on Monday 17th December, 6.30-7.30pm. It’s literally outside Hen Corner, if you are in the area, come along! Full details here.
Fill your home with the wonderful aromas of home baking this season, check out our recipe for mince pies in this film, if you make some and post pics on social media, do tag in @HenCorner we’d love to see your treats…
Coming up at the Corner
We’ve still got spaces on some of our festive courses and would love you to join us!
- Cultivate London, a charity that Sara is a director of, had their Annual Celebration, so we gathered up their harvest surplus and created a feast for friends and supporters
- Our Christmas puddings were made, as tradition holds, on Stir Up Sunday
- We had a great time at BATCH: London the Real Bread Campaign’s 10th Birthday Celebration, the mission is to have Real Bread available in walking distance for everyone in the UK, we are so proud to be part of that mission
Jobs for the Week:
- Bottle up the home brew, if we can’t have our own mistletoe, at least we can have our own wine
- Gather up foliage to make Christmas Wreaths, we are running 5 sessions this year, including a special Wreath Workshop at Horsenden Farm on Monday 10th December
- Create this year’s Christmas card, hopefully designed by our daughter Macy again
May you know peace and joy as you prepare for Christmas…
Have a great week,