The clocks have gone back, there’s a chill in the air and we are looking forward to all that this new season will bring.
November begins with fireworks and ends with us hanging up our advent calendars, and whilst I know that many would rather not focus on festivities too early – I say it’s all in the planning and preparation and, like the big fellow in red, I’m making a list and checking it twice.
If we pace ourselves, we can maximise on enjoying the preparations with a light heart and a smile on our face. Take time out with friends and get creative making gifts, decorations or even the baking – doing it together is so much more fun!
When we weave our Christmas jobs into a social setting, it’s a double bonus – ticking off that list whilst catching up with those we care about.
Country Living Christmas Fair
I’m delighted to be speaking at this year’s fair in London (9th-13th November)
You can find me giving demonstrations both in the Country Living Christmas Theatre and in the Country Living Kitchen Theatre every day.
We have TWO PAIRS of FREE tickets exclusively for subscribers of this blog!
If you’d like to come, leave a comment on this post (below) to let us know.
Competition closes on Sunday (6th Nov), we will draw for the free tickets on Monday 7th November and notify winners by email.
If you are not successful in winning a pair of free tickets, use the code GIFT25 at checkout for 25% off tickets*.
*Offer valid on standard adult tickets only. Not valid on Luxe, VIP, Add-on or workshop tickets. Offer valid until Sunday 13th November 2022 at 11.59pm. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
Christmas Courses at Hen Corner
As usual, we have a lovely selection of Christmas Courses coming up. The in-person sessions have limited places – so do book in early for your favourite course.
Following the success of our Online Courses in recent years, allowing guest who live further afield to join in with a class, we’ve created a new Mince Pie Masterclass that should be great fun. We start by choosing our own combination of fruits and nuts to soak in our favourite tipple then make a sweet shortcrust pastry. Making our own mincemeat is a lovely skill that we can use year on year and who doesn’t love a homemade mince pie?
I don’t know about you, but our family all seem to have too much ‘stuff’ so experiences make the perfect gift. Whilst I love a night out at the theatre, I also love learning new skills.
If you want to treat someone, or yourself, to new skills (and a great experience) in bread baking, bee keeping, cheese making, pasta and more – All our Courses have dates scheduled in for next year
If you fancy getting hands on with your preparations, we’ve got a spaces on some great courses coming up.
- Full Day Making Sourdough – Wednesday 16th November
- Stir Up Sunday – Making Christmas Puddings – 20th November
- Introduction To Bread Making – Tuesday 22nd November
- Baker’s Dozen – Batches Of Bakes – Wednesday 23rd November
- Introduction To Making Cheese – Wednesday 30th November
Don’t forget, if you’ve been on any of our courses before, you can have 20% discount off your booking.
- Whilst the honey bee swarm season is usually May to July, I collected one last month, in October! Is this due to climate change?
- We adopted a new chicken who wasn’t getting on with her flock fellows, it’s a good job that she’s settled in well here as the girls are on Flockdown again from Monday
- Yeah, we scooped a second prize for our honey at this year’s National Honey Show
Jobs for the week:
- Dig up a plum tree, that grew from a squirrel’s buried stash, and replant in the church Eco Garden
- Syphon our cider into new demijohns for a second ferment
- Try my hand to candle making with this year’s spare beeswax
Are you enjoying the cosy evenings?
How are you preparing for the season ahead?