Don’t be scared of the Hollandaise…
Our food demonstration was cooking one of our favourite meals of griddled asparagus, poached egg and hollandaise sauce, most of the ingredients can be foraged from our garden at springtime and, whilst delicious, is a very simple lunch, starter or supper dish.
Most of our audience loved the taste of hollandaise sauce but were too scared to try to make it themselves due to complicated recipes that involved vinegar reductions, skimmed melted butter and the fear of it curdling into a mess. Sara showed a simple method, shared with you below, that saved on time, utensils and washing up – easy on every front except the waistline!
1 Egg yolk
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
200g butter (room temperature)
Lemon juice (good squeeze from half a lemon)
Salt & pepper to season
- In a heat-proof bowl, whisk the egg yolk with the vinegar and a few twists of black pepper – this forms the basic emulsion.
- Place the bowl over a simmering pan of water, make sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water and continue to whisk the contents.
- Add the butter, a teaspoon at a time, whisking until it dissolves, then adding another until all is incorporated.
- Finish with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and season with the salt and pepper.
- Delicious served with asparagus and poached egg, fish, eggs benedict, stir in tarragon and serve with steak… the list goes on!
Coming up at the Corner – 20% off all courses booked by end April
If you’d like to visit us here in London, we have courses running right throughout the year. Families, Feathers and Fun is the next session coming up with a Spring Discount of £15 off each place. Closely followed by Intro to Bee Keeping and Bread: Sweet and Savoury We have many more courses available, both in the garden and the kitchen, the promotional code SPRING15 will give you 20% off all bookings before the end of April – Pass it on!
- Our old kitchen, including the ceiling and floor, has well and truly gone
- Local schools are inviting us to support them as their children explore chickens and bees
- Bookings are coming in for our new courses
Jobs for this week:
- Get packing for our family holiday with Classic Glamping
- Gather the chickens and head off to the Horniman Museum for their Chirpy Chickens event
- Decorate some of our pretty eggs as Easter place settings
Join us on the Journey!