Bees for Children
Sara, a member of the Ealing & District Bee Keeping Association, the London Bee Keepers Association and the British Bee Keeping Association, invites you to come and meet the honey bees her urban back garden…
You will be welcomed with drinks and home-made honey & oat cookies then introduced to the joys of keeping bees.
Our bee keeping began with our first training course at River Cottage in Dorset in May 2009. We’ve had honey bees here at Hen Corner since August 2011 and were delighted to win First Prize for our London Honey at the National Honey Show in October 2012.
We are pleased to bring you this London bee keeping session for children.
Team leader, Sara Ward, has many years experience working with children through work with charity, local schools and Children’s Centres.
Our time together will include:
- A basic introduction to urban bee keeping
- Learning about the bees, the role of the bee keeper, and how they make us honey
- Putting on protective bee suits and gloves
- Collecting a frame of bees from the hive
- Watching the bees behind glass in an Observation Hive
- Discover where they fly and what they are collecting
- Tasting their wonderful honey
‘I did the bee hive experience with my 4 year old daughter today and we both absolutely loved it. It was so informative and fun and Sara had such an amazing rapport with the children.’
DATES IN 2019
Wednesday 29th May, Tuesday 23rd July, Thursday 8th August
£20.00 per person
(all children need to be accompanied by a paying adult)
WHEELCHAIR ACCESS DOG FRIENDLY