Introduction to Bee Keeping (Virtual Course via Zoom)
Sara, a member of the Ealing & District Bee Keeping Association, the London Bee Keepers Association and the British Bee Keeping Association, invites you to join her on her weekly hive inspection in her urban back garden…
Our bee keeping began with our first training course at River Cottage in Dorset in May 2009. We’ve had honey bees here at Hen Corner since August 2011 and were delighted to win First Prize for our London Honey at the National Honey Show in October 2012 followed by a silver cup in 2015 and an armful of awards in 2016.
We are pleased to bring you this online bee keeping course for beginners.
Our time together will give a good introduction to urban bee keeping. You will learn about the bees, the role of the beekeeper, different types of bee hive (Omlet Beehaus, National, Poly Nuc) and much more.
If you ever decide to buy anything from Omlet, you can benefit from a 6% discount if you contact me via their Ambassador Programme.
Our time together will include (main content in first hour, questions in second part):
- Understanding the life cycle of the honey bee and castes of the colony
- Recognising the roles and responsibilities of the bee keeper throughout the year
- A demonstration of making frames for the bees to raise their next generation
- The opportunity to join me at the hive (via Zoom) as I explain every aspect of my weekly inspection to get a taster of what it would be like to keep bees yourself
- We finish our time together with an opportunity for questions
After the session:
Each guest will be emailed course notes & recording of the Zoom session
We are available for follow up support after the event
20% off future face-to-face courses at Hen Corner
If you decide that bee keeping is for you, we recommend that you link up with your local bee keeping association and consider doing the British Bee Keeping Association Basic Assessment Course.
‘Just had a two-hour Introduction to Beekeeping via Zoom with Sara Ward of Hen Corner and a half-dozen other `newbies.’ Clear, concise, well-demonstrated and all questions answered – superb!’
DATES IN 2021
Wednesday 7th April
12 noon – 2pm